Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bend for Breakfast

Sparrow Bakery in Bend, Oregon February 2010.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat, dizzy head, achy arms and legs, and this pastry on my mind.


So, does that mean that all the late night sangria, mid-day beers and bottomless breakfast Bloody Marys I enjoyed in New York, this past month, may have had something to do with my current discomfort? Definitely not! And I'm also sure that my "Welcome Home to California!" fresh strawberry margarita escapades with friends in the warm Santa Barbara sunshine had NOTHING to do with my sloth-like physical state at the moment... And for the record, I really do think that I am the only happy, healthy, 25 year old on the planet whose liver looks like a shriveled, yellow kitchen sponge after just 3 days of enjoying my youth. Once my liver has decided to take a holiday from processing my toxins, my immune system quickly follows and thus leaves me here. At home. With a luke warm cup of Throat Coat tea, and a pyramid of bed-side vitamin C and Ricolas.



But I really did wake up thinking about how much fun I had in Bend a few months back, and how cozy and wonderful my trips to Sparrow Bakery were. The first image is one of the infamous Ocean Roll- croissant dough, sprinkled with freshly grated cardamom, cracked black pepper and sugar before baking. It is, hands down, one of the BEST breakfast pastries I have ever had! After touching my Pacific Ocean again yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks, I can completely understand why a city in the high desert of inland Oregon would name their prized pastry, the Ocean Roll- Because it induces pure bliss.
Oh, and the croissant breakfast sandwich with avocado and a poached egg was equally as good. Do keep Sparrow Bakery in mind if you ever make it up to Bend.

I will say though, that having just dabbled in the first of our summer strawberry season, it is going to be a great one! I'm totally and completely prepared to gorge on everything strawberry for the next few months.... just hold the tequila please.

Here is something that i am looking forward to making as soon as I can get out of my pajamas. Enjoy!

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt (adapted from David Lebovitz)
About 1 quart


1 pound (450g) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup (130g) sugar
1 cup (240g) plain whole milk yogurt or greek yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring every so often.

Transfer the strawberries and their juice to a blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and fresh lemon juice. Pulse the machine until the mixture is smooth. If you wish, press mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.

Chill for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Would it be possible to get the address corrected for the link you have to the Sparrow Bakery. Our web address is http://www.thesparrowbakery.net/restaurant/.

    Thanks,
    Jason
    The Sparrow Bakery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Would it be possible to get the address corrected for the link you have to the Sparrow Bakery. Our web address is http://www.thesparrowbakery.net/restaurant/.

    Thanks,
    Jason
    The Sparrow Bakery

    ReplyDelete