Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gone Gypsyn'




When she calls my phone, an image of her standing in front of a busy Florentine street appears. With hands over heart, eyes closed, and a blissful expression upon her face.
While waiting for a cab outside of Piazza del Santa Crocce, on our way up to hear the Gregorian chants in Santa Michelangelo, I asked her a question- "Kim, how does Florence make you feel?" When she turned around to answer me, I captured her on my camera. That was 4 years ago, and I still have that photo on my phone.

I left Santa Barbara just days ago. I procrastinated till the final moments of my last morning to pack up my bag. The grey duffle bag (which doubles as my home most of the time) looks more like a black hole of doom to me now. In fact, at that moment of packing, I loathed that bag and all of it's tiny little zipper pockets and cobblestone proof wheels! It was all just too soon to leave.

Kim, my mentor and friend for the past 7 years, threw me... yet another..., going away party just hours before my flight. We drank California chardonnay under my final California pink sunset. Fresh bread with whipped peppers, feta and allepo chilies. Her handmade goat cheese alongside fresh strawberries. Lamb meatballs roasted in the wood fire oven, on warm corn salsa with aioli. She knows me well. Poetry was shared till the wine bottles had finished, and 6 pm came too quickly.

Arriving in Boston and settling into the work groove yet again. (note: provisioning a kitchen in your own country [ie: Trader Joes and Whole Foods!] is far more inspiring than the super markets of Nuuk, Greenland.)  My first night spent with friends, dinner at The Butcher Shop, an apple cider rum martini (or two) at The Beehive, and hours spent shopping in South End Fromaggio (which sells Stumptown coffee!). The next day I received a poem from Kim-


IN A TREE HOUSE
Light Will someday split you wide open Even if your life is now a cage,
For a divine seed , the crown of destiny, Is hidden and sown on an ancient, fertile plain You hold the title to.
Love will surely bust you wide open Into an unfettered, blooming new galaxy
Even if your mind is now A spoiled mule.
A life-giving radiance will come, The Friend’s gratuity will come--
O look again within yourself, For I know you were once the elegant host To all the marvels in creation.
From a sacred crevice in your body A bow rises each night And shoots your soul into God.
Behold the Beautiful Drunk Singing One From the lunar vantage point of love.He is conducting the affairs Of the whole universe
While throwing wild parties In a tree house-- on a limb In your heart.
-Hafiz

Thank you Kim, for being my teacher of food and of love for the moment. Oh, and for throwing endless amounts of wild parties... from treehouse, to villa, to heart. I love you, and I will see you soon in Morocco! -Ash

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the gift to travel with a fellow-spirited sojourner. Your kindred hearts found each other on this earth. May the parties continue as a celebration of all life's moments. Even the saying goodbyes - we stop, at this place, and recognize the sacred moment - and then we eat! Reminders to us all to take moments, and do just that. Baci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in agreement with everything Ann so eloquently already said in the above comment. There's not much I can add to it...

    That Image of your Friend speaks a 1,000 words!
    And your description of your shared meal has now made me intensely hungry! *winks* But instead I shall break open a bottle of Wine...

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  3. what beautiful words from an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete